WordPress makes it easy and intuitive to create engaging blog posts for your audience. Whether you’re publishing your first post or your hundredth, the process remains user-friendly, catering to both beginners and experienced webmasters. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to create a new WordPress post, detailing each step from start to finish.
Step 1: Access the Post Editor
To get started, you have two options to access the post editor:
- Navigate to Posts → Add New from the dashboard’s left sidebar.
- Use the New → Post option on the top toolbar of your WordPress site.
Selecting either of these options will bring you to the WordPress post editing screen, equipped with various features to customize your post.
Step 2: Enter Your Post Title
At the top of the editing screen, you’ll find a placeholder for your post’s title. Click here and enter the title you’ve chosen for your blog post. Make it engaging and clear to attract readers and give them a sense of what to expect from your content.
Step 3: Add Your Content
Below the title, the main content area is where you bring your blog post to life using WordPress blocks. Here’s how:
- Using Blocks: WordPress uses a block editor (also known as Gutenberg) that allows you to add different types of content (text, images, videos, etc.) as individual blocks. To add a block, click the + (plus) icon, and select the type of block you want to use.
- Formatting Text: To format your text, highlight it and use the block toolbar that appears. This toolbar offers options for bolding, italicizing, and more.
- Adding Media: To add images or videos, use the respective blocks from the block inserter (+ icon). You can upload files from your computer or select from the media library.
Step 4: Utilise the Post Settings Panel
On the right side of the screen is the post settings panel, which contains several important settings for your post:
- Post Summary: Here, you can change the status (draft, pending review, published) and visibility of your post (public, private, password protected), or schedule it for a future date. To make your post a featured post on your blog, select the Stick to the top of the blog option.
- Categories: Use this section to assign your post to a category or create a new one. Categories help organize your content and make it easier for readers to find related posts.
- Tags: Add tags to your post to help describe the specifics of your content. Tags are more specific than categories and assist in indexing your posts on search engines.
- Featured Image: Assign a featured image that will appear prominently at the top of your post and in listings. Click on Set featured image and choose an image from your library or upload a new one.
Step 5: Publish Your Post
Once you’re satisfied with your post, it’s time to publish:
- Click the Publish button located at the top-right corner of the editor screen.
- A pre-publish checklist will appear, offering you one last chance to review your settings.
- Confirm your choices, and click Publish again to make your post live.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully created and published a WordPress post. By following these steps, you can continue to produce compelling content for your blog, engage your audience, and grow your online presence. Remember, the key to a great blog is not just regular posting but creating meaningful, valuable content that resonates with your readers.
For help with your WordPress website design, get in touch.